Last year Suzie81 stirred up the blogosphere with a wonderfully successful post that posed 7 significant questions to bloggers. It was so successful she’s decided to give it another go-round. There is no way i can resist–and why should I? Here goes:
1. How did you create the title for your blog? I’m a big poetry fan and an enthusiastic, in not particularly talented or prodigious poet–the jump from the word “poem” to the french word for an apple, “pomme,” is a short one. Ed Abbey, one of my favorite writers, has a small collection of his verse collected in a book called “Earth Apples”–making the same connection. Now, around these parts it’s not uncommon to see piles of horse dung on the backroads, which my grandfather always called “road apples.” Many of the early posts on this blog were old pommes, I mean pomes, I mean poems–old apples, if you will, and kind of shitty at that…the title for my new blog became obvious.
2. What’s the one bit of blogging advice you would give to new bloggers? There are no rules here beyond civility–write what you want, when you want it, and have a blast doing it. In other forms of writing, we need to be market sensitive–who is the client, what do they want, who is the target audience, what do they want, what do they expect? Unless you’re looking to monetize your blog, or you covet fat statistics, there is no reason to do anything but what you enjoy–and there aren’t many formats in life that provide that opportunity.
3. What is the strangest experience you’ve ever had? I was baptized as a child–that’s a pretty weird thing, if you think about it. Lightning once struck the ground a few feet from where I stood–I could feel the static in my beard, and smell the ozone and electric discharge..
4. What is the best thing that anybody has ever said to you? “I love you.” Seriously, what other answer could there be?
5. When presented with a time machine, which one place and time would you visit? That’s difficult–the first Christmas, maybe? Talking barnyard animals and angels hovering over a bunch of bewildered shepherds? How cool is that?
6. If you had to pick a new first name, what would you choose? I’m named for my grandfather. There isn’t another name in the world I’d like better.
7. If your life was a B-Movie what would it be called? The Thing That Slept Through Breakfast.